I have always been intrigued by other people’s habits. I think someones habit says a lot about them, its a peek into their priorities and their life. I have a few habits that float around in my day to day life but I am always looking for better and more efficient ways to be successful in my day to day life as a mom of 4 littles. I always enjoy other bloggers posts about “a day in their lives”
I like a formula, if you do this…then this will happen. Here are a few habits I have already set in my life.
1. Quiet time. Every morning I get up early (4:30-5:30ish) to spend quiet time in the Bible. It is a sacrifice to get up that early, but it is TOTALLY worth it. Spending time with Jesus first thing in the morning sets up my entire day for success, also I get coffee that much earlier.
2. Leave 15 min early. I was raised in a family that believed if you were on time, you’re late. Its ingrained in me to leave AT LEAST 15 minutes early for everything! Being a momma of 4 little ones, a lot of time this gives me some wiggle room so we actually arrive somewhere on time…but every once in awhile I need to kill 5-10 minutes from being TOO early (that’s rude too!)
3. Fun activity for the kids. I try to do something fun with the kids every day. Everything from just playing outside with chalk, going to the library, swimming, a play date, or spending the morning at the beach. Living in San Diego there is ALWAYS something fun to do and most of the time is doesn’t cost anything.
4. Laundry. I do 1 load every day…the habit I would like to instill is actually putting it away!! I actually enjoy laundry. It smells so good and its warm coming out of the dryer…its the folding and putting away (especially my own clothes!) that makes me a little crazy.
5. Time Block. Each morning I write out goals for the day in my journal and time block them out to make sure they are accomplished. I feel like because I am a stay at home mom my days are always super busy but sometimes I don’t feel like I have accomplished anything. My house is still dirty (I swear I cleaned it), the kids are hungry (I swear I fed them at least 9 times today), and there is always more to do. Time blocking my days helps me stay focused on the task at hand, allows me to accomplish those extra tasks that often get pushed out because I haven’t created time for it (i.e. organize hall closet, empty out junk drawer, etc.). There is always wiggle room (I write in pencil for a reason!) and of course real life spontaneous stuff happens, but it helps me stay focused.
There is always room for improvement, especially in my life. These are the habits I have been thinking about lately that I want to start practicing.
1. Workout. Since having the baby I have struggled with a consistent workout routine. I would like to create the habit of working out 5-6 times a week.
2. Reading. I want to spend time reading with each of my kids daily. Freddie and I read before his nap and bedtime, but I struggle having consistent time with the girls. Zoie can read books herself, but I want to sit with her and help with the big words and Pennie wants to start learning how to read. I think if I devote the first hour of Freddie’s nap everyday to reading with the girls we will see some big improvement. Its also a great excuse to cozy up on the couch with my favorite big girls for some snuggle time.
3. Uninterrupted Play Time. I really struggle playing WITH my kids. I feel like I am good creating an environment for them to play and have fun (i.e. take them to the beach), but where I fall short is actually playing with them (i.e. building a sand castle and jumping waves instead of recovering from the ordeal of getting them to the beach!). I’m just going to lay all my faults out there, when I actually do sit down to play with them I always think go get a picture so I grab my phone, then I see I have new emails so I respond, then I post the picture so it adds to my Chatbooks, then I look at the comments…. if you give a mouse a cookie. Before I know it the kids have moved onto the next activity and I missed it. I want to ENGAGE with them now when they are little, I want to play cars and dolls and mommy before its too late and they aren’t interested in that or playing with mommy anymore. I still want to capture the moment and then PUT MY PHONE DOWN!!
I think that’s enough for now. I have read before it takes 30 days to create a habit and more often than not you can only add one habit at a time to your daily schedule successfully. I’m going to attempt all three, call me an overachiever. #hardly Maybe I’ll attempt a day in the life post in August and see how its actually going.
If you are actually reading this (thank you!) and have a few habits of your own that you would share with me, please do! I’m always looking for mama hacks and good ideas to keep our family rolling along!
Blessings from my family to yours!
Have a great day!